Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Another day gone by...

man. the days go by so fast these days. I just spent another day at work........a long but fulfilling day here, and two more to go. Sitting watching Jeopary and Wheel of Fortune seems to be the nightly ritual, no matter what client I am with. Good thing I am smart, some of these people get pretty competitive with game shows. ha. I am always surprised to see that even though these people are getting older, slower, and more forgetful.....they still know their stuff. I have to admit, my latest client has been a challenge, but I think I have pretty much won her over. Either that or my blonde hair has....(wink, wink mom!) Anyways, I am so tired and looking forward to bed tonight......it's been a relaxing day but I am still tired mentally.....a commonality of this job. Honestly though, as hard as this job can get and as frusterated as I can get sometimes with it, this has been a blessing and a learning experience. I can think of anything else I would really rather be doing. :) So I guess this is me starting to write about my life as a caregiver. A few things I have learned so far:
-Each client is the same yet different
-Jeopardy is always a battle of wits
-the best feeling in the world is biting your tongue when they say something rude
-the perks are sweet.....ie:going to the cannery and eating lunch together
-you find u lose weight easily and gain arm muscle quickly.
-when you crawl in bed at night you feel accomplished no matter how crappy of a day you have had
- never underestimate the value of a handicap plaqard, a wheelchair, a showerchair, or depend's briefs
-Everything you cook is always going to be too hot, too cold.....or completely bland.
-Elderly people get up at the crack of dawn
-hotflashes ALWAYS occur at 5 pm. ALWAYS!

Yeah, it's a sad reality to know these things......but it's my job and I love it! :)
-Jessica

No comments: